Monday, August 30, 2010

For our Future




Sunday, I brought my two primary school aged sons to Chung Hua Middle School No. 1 to take part in a fundraising joggerthon. There was a crowd of some 3,000 runners and supporters, and I was mightily impressed by the organisation of the CHMS committee. The Chairman of the Board of Management, Richard Wee, gave an inspiring speech on how education should not and must not be politicised. I was nodding my head in agreement the whole way... and then my jaw dropped when I heard what the patron of the event, Satok Assemblyman Datuk Amar Abang Johari, said:

“I have a certain formula on how to raise funds for Chinese private schools but it will take six months to a year to work it out. I don’t want to reveal the formula today… and if I lose my election I cannot do it.”


[Postscript: one of my boys came in 8th, out of a group of more than 600 primary school kids -- go, Tristan! You've made your old man proud...]

No comments:

Post a Comment